“…storytelling lyrics and soulful, soaring vocals.
– Billboard Magazine
“…voice is so sensuous and sultry…with inspirational themes.
– Washington Post
“brings activism back to the Arts, ala Nina Simone
“A master artist, performer and woman who serves as a ray of sunshine…
– Daily Sabah (Turkey national newspaper)
“An absolute diva onstage
– Posta (Turkish national newspaper)
“has the power to ‘penetrate blocks’ and to touch people from different cultural backgrounds.
– Daily China (Chinese newspaper)
“Maya Azucena Brings A Musical Revolution
“Catchy. Deep. And Mighty.
“…like Chaka Khan and Roberta Flack.
– NY Post
“powerfully compelling voice…just could be the most impressive of the current hip-hop/soul/R&B diva crop…
– Village Voice
“The Best Pipes at SXSW
– Austin Chronicle
“…a remarkable new singer
– Recording Magazine
“powerful vocals and broad range command attention…
– Performing Songwriter Magazine
“electrifying audiences with her emotive style and vocal…delivers with heart and soul every time you see her.
– Nelson George, Author / Music Critic / Journalist / Filmmaker (Halle Berry, Chris Rock)
“astonishing and your energy transformed consciousness.
– Eve Ensler, Tony Award-winning playwright, performer, activist
ABOUT MAYA AZUCENA
- Award-winning Singer, Recording Artist and Humanitarian, known for her versatile voice which adapts to multiple genres and sports a soulful 4-octave range.
- Cultural ambassador with a focus on Women’s & Youth Empowerment and Domestic/Sexual Violence, who has completed 12+ humanitaran tours sponsored by American Embassies and U.S. State Department to countries such as China, Tanzania, Suriname, India, Sri Lanka, Haiti and Turkey.
- As a full-time touring Artist, has traveled under her artist name Maya Azucena and with her band to 40+ countries.
- Diverse worldwide Collaborations including artists such as rock band Brass Against, guitar legend Vernon Reid (Living Colour), jazz greats Marcus Miller, Jason Miles, soulful house producers DJ Spinna, DJ Logic, alt-pop group Fitz and the Tantrums, international icons such as Croatian super-star Gibonni, and countless underground HipHop artists such as Immortal Technique.
AWARDS, NOMINATIONS & TITLES
- Grammy Certificate for her duet-feature with Stephen Marley (Bob Marley’s son) on his album, “Mind Control”, winning the Grammy for Best Reggae Album (2008). Maya reunites with Stephen Marley in 2022 on “Mr Bojangles,” a song recorded as part of Celebrating Nina: a reggae tribute to Nina Simone.
- Brooklyn Music School 2022 honoree “for creative excellence and contributions to Brooklyn’s artistic community.”
- Network Journal’s “Top 40 Under 40” Achievement Award: The Network Journal’s 13th Annual list of outstanding business, leadership, and community service.
- Proclamation Recipient from U.S. House of Representatives for producing “Hope Night” Domestic Violence-Awareness Concert in NYC.
- Nomination for Best Lead Actress in a Musical AUDELCO Theater Awards, for multiple roles in Allan Harris’ Cross That River play (2018).
- Member of the executive board for CONNECT NYC, an organization that provides counseling and other services to families and communities healing from domestic violence (2015-2020).
- Recipient of Porin Award for Best Music Collaboration, the “Grammys of Croatia,” for her featured appearance on “Andeo U Tebi”, with Croatian Rockstar Gibonni.
- Keynote speaker and recipient of Inspired Artist Movement’s “Inspired Artist of the Year” Award (2016)
- “Innovator of Change” Award (2012)
- Voices Unbroken “Hearing Our Voices” Award that stated, “Thank you, Maya Azucena, for using your voice to make the world a better place.” (2011)
- Best Female Vocal, Best Overall Vocal, and Best R&B Vocal in the international competition for ABC Radio Network Fame Games Effigy Awards (2008)
- Best Female Vocalist & Album of the Year nominee by Soul Tracks Readers Choice Awards (2007)
- Best Live Performer of the Year by Agape Indie Soul Awards (2007)
- Best Alternative Artist of the Year by AllHipHop.com (2006)
TELEVISION & FILM
- Maya’s original song “Gonna Be Alright” licensed on HBO’s Documentary The Bronx USA (2019), and “Down Down” on HBO’s The Wire (2008)
- Commissioned to write two original songs, “Cry Love” & “Live On” for IFC documentary Lockdown USA.
- “The Coach” on MTV’s Made, a reality-show based on mentoring teenagers (Season 11, Episode 78).
- On-camera appearance on L’Oreal “Who What Wear” Commercial (Sundance Channel), NBC’s 30 Rock, featured actor in Polygonerz Amazon Prime web series (2018), Mastercard “Priceless” USA TV commercial (2015)
- Her voice featured on National American television commercials such as NAIR in “The Less You Wear” and “Short Shorts” campaigns, plus others like Gillette, Johnson & Johnson, Icy Hot, Macy’s INC, Mike’s Hard Lemonade, and Longhorn Steakhouse.
- She has toured 40+ countries throughout her career including (but not limited to) Qatar, The Philippines, Myanmar, Tanzania, all around the USA, many European countries, Turkey, Russia, India, Brazil, Haiti, and South Africa. She performed on countless stages and festivals, including Hollywood Bowl (17,000+ people), and Essence Fest in New Orleans alongside Beyonce, Jill Scott, and Maxwell among many others.
- Performer and Cultural Envoy representing America, at International Expo 2020 in Dubai U.A.E. (2022), and in Astana Kazahkstan (2016).
- Cultural Ambassador/Performer, at the invitation of American Embassy in Doha, Qatar: Keynote speaker at Unleash Your Power, a gathering for women leaders, and the premiere performer (culturally groundbreaking, first live performance) at Doha’s exclusive Al Hazm Mall Qatar (2022).
- Performed on United Nations General Assembly stage at invitation of US Mission to Geneva Switzerland for International Day of Elimination of Violence Against Women (2018)
- Delivered plenary speech titled “The Spirit of Art and Activism” for Points of Light’s Annual Conference. Attended by an international audience of 2000+ changemakers, volunteers and social entrepreneurs, where Maya’s presentation garnered a standing ovation. (2017)
- Performed at Kripalu Retreat Center at Meggan Watterson’s REVEAL Unveiling the Divine Feminine immersion (2015)
- Performer at Hammerstein Ballroom’s Manhattan Center of Music for One Billion Rising Campaign “Just Love” concert (2014)
- Performer at Omega Institute’s Where We Go From Here conference alongside leader and activists, including President Bill Clinton (2013)
- Performer and speaker at TEDxWomen at the International Institute of Peace in Washington, DC (2012)
- Performed at United Nation’s Summit in New York City for Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon’s Every Woman, Every Child
- Performer at Omega Institute’s “Women and Power” conference, an international gathering of Female leaders such as playwright-activist Eve Ensler and actress Sally Field to Emmy-winning media powerhouse Pat Mitchell (2012)
- Facilitator of her “Discovering Your Superpower” workshop at Omega Institute
- Joined faculty for “Soundtrack for Social Change” conference at Omega Institute 2012
- Performed at launch of “The Opportunity Tour” in Boulder Colorado, and later joined BeadForLife.org on a trip to Uganda as their artist ambassador. (2012)
- Performer at Women Deliver conference, “a leading global advocate that champions gender equality and the health and rights of girls and women, in all their intersecting identities.” (2010).
- Performed, joining world leaders and other performers at the “Save Darfur: Rally to Stop Genocide” (2006) on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. in solidarity with Barack Obama, Paul Rusesabagina, George Clooney, Elie Wiesel other activists, and celebrities.
- “I Am Enough,” her fourth solo album produced by Timo Ellis, co-executive produced by fans, scheduled for release in Fall 2022
- To date, released 3 full-length solo albums, executive produced by herself: Cry Love, Junkyard Jewel and Maya Who?!, plus numerous digital singles/countless recordings, as both writer and featured performer which all can be found on all music platforms such as Apple Music, Spotify and YouTube.
- Commissioned by Eve “V” Ensler, activist for women’s rights, to create “Dance Revolution” song and music video, produced by DJ Spinna, in support of One Billion Rising international campaign (2016)
- BILLBOARD’S Hot Club Dance chart, #3 spot, for single “Make It Happen” on Kult Records.
- Featured and praised by numerous national and international publications like Billboard, Buzzfeed, Washington Post, Performing Songwriter Magazine, EBONY Mag, to name a few.
- Cover story for UK’s Music Magazine, ECHOES (2022)
See press quotes…
“…storytelling lyrics and soulful, soaring vocals.” – Billboard Magazine
“…voice is so sensuous and sultry…with inspirational themes.” – Washington Post
“brings activism back to the Arts, ala Nina Simone” – EBONY
“A master artist, performer and woman who serves as a ray of sunshine…” – Daily Sabah (Turkey national newspaper)
“An absolute diva onstage” – Posta (Turkish national newspaper)
“has the power to ‘penetrate blocks’ and to touch people from different cultural backgrounds.” – Daily China (Chinese newspaper)
“Maya Azucena Brings A Musical Revolution” – BuzzFeed
“Catchy. Deep. And Mighty.” – IndependentArtistBuzz
“…like Chaka Khan and Roberta Flack.” – NY Post
“powerfully compelling voice…just could be the most impressive of the current hip-hop/soul/R&B diva crop…” – Village Voice
“The Best Pipes at SXSW” – Austin Chronicle
“…a remarkable new singer” – Recording Magazine
“powerful vocals and broad range command attention…” – Performing Songwriter Magazine
“electrifying audiences with her emotive style and vocal…delivers with heart and soul every time you see her.” – Nelson George, Author / Music Critic / Journalist / Filmmaker (Halle Berry, Chris Rock)
“astonishing and your energy transformed consciousness.” – Eve Ensler, Tony Award-winning playwright, performer, activist